At the end of the week, I usually have random scraps of veggies left over in my fridge. Wilted spinach, half an onion, a sad looking green pepper, one jalapeno… You know what I mean. This basic recipe is a great way to use them up! It’s also a great way to feed a crowd on a tight budget. Serve it up with some Vegan Orange Corn Muffins and you’ve got a great weeknight meal!
Three Bean Veggie Vegan Chili
Combine in a croc pot:
- One can each, drained and rinsed: black beans, red kidney beans, & great northern beans (tip- set aside liquid from great northern beans, aquafaba, for your corn muffins!)
- Two cans diced tomatoes, fire roasted or with green chilis (or one of each)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder (I prefer penzey’s chili 3000)
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cayaenne pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- One crushed garlic clove
- Chopped green pepper
Now, toss in your veggies! I used:
- Wilted, sad looking spinach
- One chopped jalapeno
- Mushy tomato
- A few finely chopped carrots
You can add just about anything, from broccoli to cauliflower, zucchini to kale. They will slow cook and practically disappear into the chili.
Cook on low, 4-6 hours minimum, or on high 2-4 hours. For the best flavor, allow to cook on low overnight.